Saturday, November 27, 2010

My Life in 3hrs


In my typical attire of pajamas and sweats, why be uncomfortable if I'm not going anywhere?







Little Helpers



We've had a healthy stream of relatives visiting that have been very helpful. They have taken late night feedings so Phil and I could sleep a little more and have made dinners and cleaned so we wouldn't have to, but it's sad to say that they are now gone. This gave me the opportunity to finally be on my own with the boys (for two days albeit). I felt a little panicky at the thought of being by myself the whole day but am now relieved that I was able to handle it just fine; however, I only have time for babies and a few things here and there. Here is my life in 3hrs:

1.5hrs: Change diapers and feed babies, sometimes two at a time if they can't be consoled by a pacifier. (I can sometimes get this done faster)

30minutes: pump while I eat something (unlike pregnancy I'm always hungry now)

45minutes: do something productive as long as babies are content, like clean bottles, baby laundry, and pick up the rats nest I've created in the living room.

15minutes: prepare bottles for next feeding.

Repeat every three hours

At 7pm, once Phil is home, I go to sleep for 3hrs and then wake up so Phil can sleep for 5-6hrs. I need him to get the min amount of sleep necessary to still be productive at work and bring home the bacon. Then at 4am I hand over the boys again and sleep another 3hrs before Phil is off to work. So basically I only see my husband on the weekends. It's only temporary and before you know it the boys will be all grown up so I'm in no hurry for things to change even if it means a little sacrifice now.

The babies are really good and they've never cried inconsolably but I dread the day that it will happen (or will it happen, might I have the good fortune of it never happening?). At worse if they are having a hard time falling asleep I just hold them and if that doesn't work I nurse them for 5minutes and they pass out. This is great for getting them to fall asleep but not so good at getting them to take a full feeding at the breast but that's another story. It's like I have this hypnotizing power over them so the minute I touch them they are out or maybe the smell of maple syrup calms them, who knows. I busted out the double nursing pillow today and was able to get two boys nursing at once. This will really help at getting the boys more practice since I was nursing only one boy per feeding.

JP

6 comments:

Christine Huntley said...

I miss the boys already. That is a really cute picture of Rachel and baby. That is the best way to take a nap :)

Let us know when you would like a break and Heather and I will make the drive up.

Christine

nan cee said...

The boys are growing so fast! It is good to know that you had more family help after Grandparents went home. Sounds like you are doing well in handling matters by yourself. Just remember Jehovah is always with you and will give you the strength you need whenever you ask. Just do what you can when you can and everything will be okay. My love and prayers are with you all.
A. Nancy

Jonalyn said...

It will be so nice when you get the double nursing down pat. I would imagine you're always looking for ways to be more efficient at things, since time is so precious now! *Love* the pictures!

Myra said...

Glad that you have figured out a way to get some sleep! Kudos to Phil too :) The boys are looking great!

Justin and Sara said...

We sure miss the sweet babies this morning. After our week there, now we look at the boys on the blog and know exactly who is who. We loved helping out, but can see you and Phil are very capable and have a great routine! (Helpful when you can catch some extra zzz's). Nursing is not just nutrition for little babies, but a whole lot of comfort, love and euphoria! Glad the double nursing pillow worked out, maybe you have less pumping in your future, although I marveled at your tenacity, and the smile that always covered your face. (High on baby love!) I will tell the boys how hard their mommy worked to get them her super milk and keep them as healthy as possible. I loved watching Phil read to the babies every night and talk to them. We can't wait to see them again and continue to see their little personalities grow, that are already different.

Amber said...

Oh goodness I miss them and I havn't even held them. We completely love every blog post. The group photos are great!! And look at that personality. They exude personality already.

What a mile stone with the double feeding pillow. Keep up your faboulous work, routine and cheerful demeanor.