Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Before Moving on to Solids







Wish I could see that beautiful smile





Before we get started on solids I'd like to write about how breastfeeding is going. It has been a roller coaster. You know the first half from my other updates and the second half is just as crazy. I won't go into details unless you want to read an entry as long as a book. It seems like every few weeks something changes. It's an interesting dynamic figuring out rotation, partial feeds, accommodating growth spurts, etc, etc. So I'll just update you on what works NOW.

Don't ask me how I could stand to do it for so long, but I pumped religiously for 3 months (7-8 x a day) and then a few times a day for another month. I'm finding out that that is much longer than most other mom's have done. I'll be the first one to admit it, I'm the crazy one!

First off, everyone still nurses and we still supplement with formula. I always nurse each boy first and then offer them some formula. Although, Eli, about a month ago decided he doesn't like formula anymore. Actually if I try to offer it to him he gags, so he only nurses. I don't blame him though, have you ever tasted the stuff? it's nasty! Breast milk is so much more palatable, it tastes kind of like sweet rice milk. Yes, obviously I admit to tasting it, don't be offended, everybody try's it (Like peeing in the shower, no one admits to it but everyone does it).

So Eli gets one whole boob and Caleb and Thomas split the other. The first boy drinks less formula than the second one, but on average 0-4oz per boy. We waste A LOT of formula in the process, but it doesn't bother me as much as when breast milk would go to waste, a few times I just saved it for next time even though you are not supposed to. It would almost bring a tear to my eye to pour un-drank breast milk down the drain, a lot of pain and suffering went into getting as much as possible out!

My eating habits are less than desired. I'm always hungry and along with the boys I too eat every 3 hours. Let me just say it's EXHAUSTING! Finding something to stuff my face with that often gets old and tired fast. Of course if I could go out to eat every time that would be a different story. It will be nice to eat like a normal person someday. I'm glad I kept a 10lbs pre-preg weight buffer because if I have a bad week of not eating enough I'll drop a pound or two and that lets me know I need to do better the next week.

We just went to a WIC appointment yesterday and they lowered the amount of formula we get because we don't use as much as they thought we would (thank God we don't pay for this stuff, it's $15 a can!). They did, however, increase my food package, yay! I get so much tuna fish that I'm slightly worried about mercury poisoning, I think I'll switch to the salmon for a while. The boys got measured and are all 24inches long (17 inches at birth, an increase of 7in). They were also weighed and they are keeping with the same pattern as when they were born.

Caleb 13lbs 11oz
Eli 13lbs 10oz
Thomas 13lbs 15oz

Poor Caleb, every one assumes he's the biggest. Unlike his brothers that have football shaped heads, his is round. And Eli really holds his weight well, he seems so much smaller than his brothers but he is only an ounce lighter than Caleb. Thomas maintains his "Thomas the tank" status, keeping a nice lead ahead of his bro's.

I'm very excited about starting solids. The boys still don't really seem interested but I'm giving it a try anyway. I've got the food (rice cereal since it's pretty much benign), bib's and date picked out. I just need to pull out the other two high chairs out of their boxes.

I relish every milestone and don't want to take anything for granted since these might me my only babies : )


There are drawbacks to being fully breastfed. Since the boys were preemies they are required to take 0.5cc's of this really nasty iron/vitamin sludge once a day. Caleb and Thomas get it diluted in their bottles so it doesn't taste as bad but Eli has to take it like a man.

6 comments:

Jonalyn said...

First, Molly's comment on the video: "Pobrecito!" She felt bad for Eli having to take his vitamins. You have been SO AWESOME with the breastfeeding and figuring out what works! I can't wait to see videos of how the boys react to solids. Especially when you introduce something beyond rice cereal. New flavors are always entertaining!

nan cee said...

The boys are growing! Love the video of Eli and his vitimins. Maybe you could follow up with lick of dill pickle to take away the nasty taste and get a better face! You are to be commended for keeping up with the breast feeding. It is better for both you and the boys. Keep up the good job and enjoy your babies while they are still babies. Each stage will have its own enjoyment!
My love to you all,
A. Nancy

Sara 诗媛 said...

LOVE the picture of the boys from the back. Looks like Caleb and Eli to me, but I am not sure. It looks like they are up to something, and working out a plan.

I have always been impressed by Moms who have to pump to breastfeed, with singles or multiples, sometimes kids have latching issues, etc. As much as I am an advocate of breastfeeding, I feel like I had it so easy just rolling over and nursing, I would never criticize a mom for stopping if she had to wake up and pump for every feeding, of course hats off to you for enduring that as long as you did, and reaping the rewards!

Angela said...

Great job, Mama! I think you'd win the award for having the longest love/hate relationship with your pump!! Just kidding! I need to call you. I've been thinking of you, but we are still really sick. This is by far the worst virus yet and it's March! Bring the sun! Your boys are adorable and I can't wait to see you all again very soon! Hugs!

Tati said...

Aww poor Eli! That stuff does look nasty! I love the last picture down there which I have captioned "Well, you told me not to put my fingers in my mouth!" Congrats on breastfeeding this long too!

Vancouver Elerick's said...

Way to go Mama! Breastfeeding as long as you have with 3 babies is nothing short of AMAZING! I BF and pumped for a year. Even towards the end of the year I was still pumping 5-6 times a day. It is hard work!!!

Thank goodness for WIC! What a lifesaver. I am so glad that you are taking advantage of the wonderful program!

Keep up the EXCELLENT work!

Jessica