Friday, February 22, 2013

Potty Training pt 4

ECT watching a puppet show, and Thomas hugging the puppet afterwards : )
so many little leggys!

Since my last attempt at potty training I've spent a lot of time thinking (aka stressing out) about this matter. I think about my special soap for diaper covers that just ran out, the last tub I bought lasted me 2 years! But what was I to do, I had to buy another tub, no telling when they'll potty train. I also thought about my diaper covers getting very worn out and not wanting to replace them because they are very expensive! I have also been thinking that our onesies are all looking worn out but we must use them because the cloth diapers will fall off otherwise...I don't want to invest in more onesies either! I don't want to start using disposables either because I want them to feel wet and uncomfortable! Ugh, I just don't want to change diapers anymore!!! I'm sick of it, so dang sick of it! Ahhh!

So I got a notice from the library a few days ago that a book I had put on hold was available for pick up. It's called Diaper Free Before 3 (Lekovic), I chose it only from the title, another book I put on hold is Toilet Training in a Day, who knows when I'll get that one! Why is there such a long hold on this one if everyone is done potty training in one day?! HA! Anyways, so I picked up the book yesterday and pretty much read the entire thing (ok I skipped a lot of stuff) while the boys napped. It talks a lot about how you don't have to wait for 'signs of readiness' (which I like) but you have to start at like 6 months (boo, I'm too late)! Potty training was the last thing on my mind at 6 months, I tell you it really is something that is deeply embedded in culture because who in the US starts potty training at 6 months!? I started feeling down that I had missed the boat already, well I still read on and I must say I really like the book even though in our case I may be too late. A lot of good points are made, looking back at recent history MOST kids were potty trained by 18 months!!! Yes can you imagine 18 months!?! What has happened? The disposable diaper, is what happened! Yes, modern day convenience has us all thinking backwards. At one point formula was thought to have liberated women from the laborious nature of breastfeeding, boy was that wrong! Another good point that was made was that if a kid can speak in full sentences, recite his ABC's, drink from a cup or what have you at the age of 3 then why couldn't he also use the potty? She shares lots of scientific data that shows kids are fully aware of their bladders and bowel movements at a very early age and can control them. I almost want to have another kid to try her methods, almost, hahaha!

So I was feeling a little defeated and back to accepting the fact that I have no other choice than to subscribe to the notions of waiting for 'signs of readiness.' However, I was all pumped up after reading this book that I couldn't help myself from trying again. Thomas is my best bet because lately he has been randomly pointing to his diaper and saying 'peepee, caca' I can't say for sure but I could only guess he was telling me when he was going peepee but still not many other 'signs of readiness.' So when Thomas got up from his nap I sprung it on him, 'do you want to wear big boy undies and use the potty?' He gave me a half smile like 'whatever' and I ran to get a pair of undies for him. So a full 24 hrs later and he has peed in the potty more times than had accidents! It is amazing to see him sit down and pee and know it is intentional! Last time I tried potty training he only went once in the potty all day, and I was taking him to the bathroom every 20 minutes. This time I'm not keeping track of time too well and just trying to take him to the bathroom frequently. I find excuses like 'oh we are about to eat, we need to go use the potty,' and Thomas is being really cooperative and is indulging in the extra attention I'm giving him. No power struggles and in my haste to start this time I completely forgot about a reward system so I guess we'll keep it that way unless we hit a road block. Of course it's only been one day, but compared to last time it's a HUGE success! I can't describe the wonderful feelings going through me right now, it's a kin to the day my babies were born! I'm really hoping another diaper never touches T's bum again, I have no idea what challenges might come up but I really don't want to turn back. I LOATH diapers, especially poopy ones!

So far I think it's really nice to just to concentrate on one boy, I don't feel overwhelmed by all the work involved in cleaning accidents and multiple trips to the bathroom with three rascals in tow. It's peaceful, no fighting over potty's, just me and Thomas getting the job done. I even feel him grip my hand tight when it's time to go to the bathroom like he knows it's just me and him. I really feel good about this, I know Thomas can do it but most importantly Thomas knows he can do it! I don't think I had anything to do with it either, other than to keep testing the waters out every couple of months and filling the boys up with potty training propaganda any chance I get. Once I feel comfortable with Thomas' progress I'll start on the next boy maybe in a week or so. No telling how they'll do, so here goes nothing!

the boy who is on his way to be diaper free forever!

3 comments:

nan cee said...

They will all eventually be diaper free as will you! I love the transformed pictures from you last posting. They have sure grown since birth!
Love you all,
A. Nancy

mary said...

Your boys are smart. They will figure it out soon enough. And then you might miss those diaper days. Haha, jk.

Jonalyn said...

They'll get the hang of it! Hope Thomas continues to do well, and set a good example for his brothers. :)